Adminswife

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

CRUTCHES?.....at a wedding?????

Labor Day was something else. Spent the morning cleaning and getting ready for company. The Mahler's came over for a cookout - fun times!

When the Mahler's left, Tim decided to finish up his car (got a new transmission and decided he would put it in this weekend - started on Friday night and was going to finish up on Monday). Emily, Zachary, Elyse & I all took turns helping out (turning this knob, getting a cold drink, or just yapping). Well, it was my turn. So, I turned this knob - oh so carefully - for about 30 minutes. The engine just didn't line up correctly. So, I decided I would have a look and see what the problem was. Suddenly the stool I was standing on slid in the transmission fluid all over the floor. Down I went on my bottom, stopping only to scrap my left arm badly on the workbench. I just sat there. Tim wanted to help me, but he was so filthy that I just said, "Don't touch me!" Besides, I was hurting pretty badly. I couldn't breathe, my ankle hurt, my arm hurt, I was going to pass out. I wanted so bad to lay on that dirty garage floor and just sleep my life away. But, I knew that was not a good thing if I had a head injury (Tim thought I hit my head on the workbench). So, I sat there for a few minutes trying to breathe. When I thought I could catch my breath, Tim went to get Emily. All three kids came running out and they said I looked VERY green. I just wanted to lay down. So, I hobbled into the house, up the stairs, into the bedroom and laid down. Then my left ear started ringing and my stomach said it wanted to get rid of lunch. Emily looked at my ankle and it was already bruised and starting to swell. ICE, someone said. Since I needed to sit up to hold my lunch down, I suggested Emily's foot bath filled with water and ice and I would sit in a chair in the living room. Hobbling back to the living room made me dizzy again. I sat in the chair and stuck my foot in the ice water. Emily said to leave it for 20 minutes. Three minutes later, I was freezing. I sat in my HEAVY bathrobe and tried to keep my foot in the water. Couldn't do it. I just wanted to go to sleep. Sleep didn't come. I was freezing, thinking of throwing up and had a throbbing foot (not to mention my arm every time I touched something with it). So, I soaked in the bath tub. That felt wonderful. I went to bed.

After several attempts to sleep, I read a book. When the book was finished, I decided it was really time to sleep. It didn't come. I was freezing. After taking Motrin, I tried again, with my robe on. Next thing I know, the alarm was going off.

"The rest of the story..." My ankle is bruised and somewhat swollen. My left arm is bruised, but going to be fine. I can walk without thinking of throwing up. I guess I am going to be fine. No emergency rooms for me!

Another sad note: Kathy Laga's mother passed away on Saturday. She had cancer. Her husband will be living with Kathy's family from now on (he has parkinson's disease and is blind). Pray for the family!

3 Comments:

At September 05, 2006 9:47 AM, Blogger Lacey Rumley said...

Ouch.

--
Luke

 
At September 05, 2006 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Mom be CAREFUL! Are you absolutely positive that nothing's wrong with it? I would strongly recommend you get it checked out anyway.

I love you and I'm glad you got through that mess!!!

-Betsey

 
At September 06, 2006 11:09 AM, Blogger Tobin and Erin said...

holy crap! when did THIS happen???? take care of yourself, mom! hope you are feeling better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home