Adminswife

Thursday, September 18, 2008

ONE MORE UPDATE!!!!!

Praise the Lord! The insurance company AND the restoration company said THROW IT OUT! So, we are in the process of ripping up alot of carpet and pads and filling up the garbage pile already out in the front yard.

First, we had to remove all the furniture. It isn't quite done, but we are getting there. We are putting it all in the garage until we run out of room - which is getting closer and closer.

We moved the school room to the dining room. It is a bit crowded, but we know it is temporary.

We were planning on decluttering the house next spring, but we are getting a huge head start on it. I have a trunk full of things to take to Goodwill. They said they would unload it for me - yeah!

Before we got the go-ahead for throwing out the carpet, we were told to dry it. So, here is Betsey's room with the carpet on top of chairs with a fan running full blast under the carpet.

Here is the carpet half torn up with BROWN cement (which the restoration people will clean and sterilize for us).

Now Erin's room. Her room only got wet a few feet, where Betsey's was completely soaked.

Here are my two goofy helpers. They are trying to act like robots from the "March of the Wooden Soldiers" movie. Here is half of our junk in the garage. I still have a little to go before we can pull all the carpet up.

The junk without the helpers.

One problem with the new carpet is the stairway. Right now the stairway up and the stairway down match the living room carpet upstairs. BUT, the bottom two steps are soaked and would need to be replaced. So, the problem is - do I get the bottom steps completely different from the top steps, or do I try to match it (which would be impossible because the company is out of business)? Any suggestions?

My next project is picking out carpet. Not only do I have the stairs problem, but I don't like finding carpet I like because I don't know what I like. I was thinking of doing the whole downstairs in the same color - something neutral. What do you think?

5 Comments:

At September 18, 2008 7:05 PM, Blogger Tobin and Erin said...

Wow. That's lots of stuff.

Those two helpers look like they're getting WAAAAAY too old! Tell them to stop growing up. Thanks!

I will give an opinion on the carpets later on...I gotta run! But wow, that's a big job I'm glad I don't have to face yet. One neutral color would sure be easier, huh? Anywho, I'll tell you more opinions later. Love you!

 
At September 18, 2008 9:33 PM, Blogger Lacey Rumley said...

I vote for the neutral carpet throughout the basement. Then you can decorate with colors and change color schemes more easily. And neutral seems to be "in" these days, just in case you ever needed to sell.

As for the stairs, I'd try to match the upper stairs. Our carpet supplier went out of business, but our carpet is manufactured by Mohawk (I think), so somebody must carry it still. Maybe ask Dick Davis?

 
At September 19, 2008 7:41 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Not sure which picture you want me to look at? Let me know...

Carpet, I'd say match the color of the upstairs carpet even if the pattern is a bit different. I'd love to come help! don't know when, but shopping is always fun!

 
At September 19, 2008 5:33 PM, Blogger Tobin and Erin said...

Alright, so here's my opinion. I think you should get a completely new color of carpet for the "down" section of the entry stairs. I think the contrast would be cute, as long as the two colors/patterns/textures don't completely clash. Also, it would distinguish between the upstairs and the downstairs, which I kinda like the idea of. Also, I would go for a mixed color, so that it stands out against the beige you already have there (a green, perhaps?...like a mottled green, with the brown and beige mixed in). And you can continue that color all throughout the downstairs.

But, if it's easier, go for the neutral color all over, it will look fine! I would also like to shop with you. Maybe I can do it online, lol, while you and Em actually go shopping. I'll call you with opinions, haha. :)

 
At September 20, 2008 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about you all week. What a mess, but it will be nice when it is all cleaned up and you will be so glad to have things cleaned out! I vote for neutral carpet throughout because it is better for resale!
Jane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home