Adminswife

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

WHEATON!!!!!

Today we went to Wheaton College to see the Billy Graham Museum and other cool things. Our friend from church, Evy, was our "tour guide." We started our morning with a HUGE traffic jam (not unusual for this part of the country). We were 40 minutes late getting to Evy's house. We arrived at the Billy Graham Museum and started our tour.

The four of us at the beginning of the tour (except that this picture was actually taken AFTER we finished our tour).

This is a replica of a painting that was 40 ft x 195 ft. This copy is about 30 ft x 20 ft. It was awesome with the light shining behind the painting. If you look closely, you can see the glow around Jesus' body.


Yes, we let Elyse have the camera at one point. She always likes the jewelry, pottery and outfits of the time.


We have so many pictures of Elyse preaching:


Elyse tried to get Zachary to preach, but he was more interested in the clocks, sermon notes, and other gadgets in the pulpit:


At the end of the tour, the walls were cut out to make it look like a cross. You walked through the cross to a cross hanging on the wall.


Our friend Evy staring at the cross:


At the end of the cross, was a room called "heaven." It was a wall of clouds with mirrors on the ceiling and floor. It made you think YOU were flying up into heaven.

In this room, the music that was playing was the "Hallelujah Chorus." It was awesome!


Elyse being goofy in a very serious room:


After the museum, we ate lunch in the cafeteria. It is rated the best in the country. It was really good and we ate far too much. The kids had fun making ice cream cones out of a machine. Zachary had it on his hands and Elyse had a pretty good one-inch ice cream cone. When we took our trays up to the dishwasher, we all piled our glasses on Zachary's tray. It looked like he drank 12 glasses. Aren't we nice?

Next was the Wade (something) building. It held information about seven different authors. One of them was C.S. Lewis. They even had C.S. Lewis' original wardrobe. The kids thought about seeing if they could enter Narnia from it:


Many of the things in his books were on display and some from the movie. Here is the helmet from the Miraz's army. Do you recognize it?


Evy decided to take us to a popcorn store in downtown Wheaton. The whole store is only as wide as a door. It is about 30 feet long and only a door's width. They had candy on one wall (it used to be penny candy, but now it was a dime, quarter or a dollar candy). After the row of candy, a man was making fresh popcorn. We got a medium bag for $1.25. Such a deal. Elyse enjoyed it very much.

I happen to mention that I lived in Carol Stream, Illinois, before Dad & I got married. Evy decided that we had to find it and get a picture of it. I was amazed that I could remember the address. Nostalgia:


Evy took a few pictures too. If she sends them to me, I'll post them later. It was a very good day.

5 Comments:

At October 18, 2011 8:32 PM, Blogger Tim said...

I think that was a really good field trip. I enjoyed hearing the kids talk about it.

 
At October 19, 2011 7:50 AM, Blogger Emily said...

What an GREAT field trip! I loved all the detail and pictures.

I like walks down memory lane. One time before Dan and I got married, I took him by our old Gary house (what's left of it). I showed him the subdivision and where we used to play and such. Good memories!

 
At October 19, 2011 10:04 AM, Anonymous Erin Bolton said...

Oh goodness! This was a great, educational field trip for the kids. The parts about Elyse always make me chuckle. She's such a free spirit!

I loooove the nostalgia portion. What a cute little house (apartment?)! I like seeing where you used to live. I think I took Tobin through the Gary house area too, Emily! Crazy. Some parts look very much the same, while others are completely different. Were you surprised by how small our "swamp" was? :)

 
At October 20, 2011 8:19 AM, Blogger Adminswife said...

Erin - yes, it is my first apartment. THREE girls in a one-bedroom apartment. Two had the bedroom and I had the hide-a-bed couch. Crowded, yes, but it worked.

 
At October 20, 2011 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys have had such good field trips lately! Way to go, Mom! Looks like a good experience with a lot of good information. And as always, Elyse appeared to enjoy herself. :)

I love the wardrobe picture. Makes me want to hop inside. How cool!

I'll also jump on the bandwagon of people who took their fiance/husband to the Gary house. There was nothing left when we were there!

love you all,
Betsey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home