Adminswife

Friday, July 17, 2009

ANOTHER AMAZING DAY!!!!!

Yesterday we went to Point Park. It is where alot of the Civil War battle took place. It is a rather small display (the kids were there with me twice the last two years). They have a few cannons, some statues and lots of things to read (it reminds me of the Creation Museum - alot of reading). While Dad read all the signs, I walked around.

And, YES, I had on the proper shoes, see:

Near the bottom of a short hike was the Och Museum (it has never been open in the four years we have been here - always a sign that says: "Closed for remodeling.") This is part of the museum that we can get to:

The hike from Point Park to Craven's house was supposed to be 1.5 miles. When we had walked 20 minutes (straight down the stairs) the signed said we had 1.4 miles to go. YIKES! It was a long walk (hike), but I felt good going down. I knew coming back would be an issue because the first leg of the journey was stairs (oh, how I LOVE stairs).

This is looking down when we first started:

This is looking up, when we were on our way back:

When we got to Craven's house, there were more things to read, more cannons and more statues, plus Craven's house (which is only open a few times a week - not the time while we were there). I have seen his house about five times and never saw the inside.

There are no railings or things to block you looking over the edge. So, I walked right up to the edge:

Then I saw the sign (if you enlarge it, you can read it too). It says: DANGER! Keep back! No duh! It was a LONG way down!

This is especially for Tobin. The statue (or monument) is honoring OHIO's part in the war. Here are two pictures of it. The statue is quite tall, so we took it in two pictures. The bottom:

The top:

Remember this rock, Zachary? Last year, it seemed so large, but this year it shrunk. I think it is because YOU have grown so much. You wouldn't have to jump so far this year.

This is Craven's house. The Confederate army used this house for their office, until the Union soldiers took it over.

That evening, we headed to Chattanooga. We parked in the parking garage and took the free shuttle downtown (it is an electric bus - remember that, kids). Then we walked over the bridge that goes over Tennessee River. Here is the bridge - only bikes and people walking are allowed on this bridge - no cars).

Here is one view from the walking bridge. This is where the kids and I spent alot of time. They have a carousel that costs 50 cents a person (it was closed when we got there). They have a small water park that Z & E loved. There is a small shopping area as well. That is where we had Clumpies Ice Cream (it is owned and run by a Covenant College graduate). We didn't get any ice cream this year because we were still full from dinner.

A close-up of the water park:

Zachary, we thought you would like this next picture. It is new since last year. It is mainly for handicapped people, but we thought you would love running down it and back up again. After a LONG hike this morning, and still walking around Chattanooga, my feet couldn't take even looking at it. But, I included it for your entertainment. I think it would make me sea-sick.

Anyone that can name this tree will get a HUGE award from me. They are gorgeous. I would love to have one or six in our yard whenever we get another house.

I have sinned, Emily. I forgot to tell you that after our morning hike, I wore my sandals to Chattanooga. I thought we were going to eat dinner and only walk a little ways, so sandals I wore. Well, we walked farther than I thought and I had to take off my shoes because my feet were killing me. I mentioned to Dad that Emily would be sad at me for not wearing proper shoes. So, he insisted he take a picture just to prove how silly I was. I spent most of the evening carrying my sandals - they were killing me.

The evening ended at Cracker Barrel for dessert. I had their strawberry shortcake (to die for) and Dad had a peach cobbler. Both were amazing! It was good to get back to the cabin, take our shoes off for the night and go to sleep. It was a good day!

3 Comments:

At July 18, 2009 8:37 AM, Blogger Tobin and Erin said...

Oh Mom, you are sooooooooo funny! I am so glad you took pictures of your "proper" and "improper" foot attire. :) You made me smile...and that's hard to do, I'm at work on a Saturday! Hehehe.

I think we have those trees all over in Florida. I'll try to look them up for you. They are absolutely gorgeous, and come in a variety of shades from fuschia to pastel pink/white. Pretty!

Fun fun! Thanks for the update. I'm practically on vacation with you guys!

 
At July 18, 2009 8:37 AM, Blogger Tobin and Erin said...

OH! And my favorite picture was the one of you looking out over the beautiful valley. You're so cute! Love that photo, love the view.

 
At July 20, 2009 10:11 AM, Blogger Emily said...

haha...I love all the shoe references! It's true, your feet hurt less when they have good support. I wish I had found Elyse's shoes for the Air Zoo. We walked MUCH farther than I thought we would. She was in pain after a while. Oops!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home