Adminswife

Thursday, July 16, 2009

MORE JOURNEYS!!!!!

On Wednesday we went to Whitwell, Tennessee, for a dinner theater (actually it was lunch, but that is only details). They serve you a "civil war era" dinner (chicken, carrots, green beans, cornbread stuffing and biscuits). They also served sweet tea (but that wasn't what they drank in the civil war era). The owners of the place put on a dialogue/drama about the civil war and facts that we NEVER read about in our history books because they don't want us to know the truth. Dad & I talked about the "new" facts in the car and Dad feels like this guy was telling the truth. Amazing! To think I am getting an education while on vacation.

Here is the scene for the drama. It is the stage in a old church. We ate and watched the show from the tables and chairs that were set up were the old sanctuary used to be. It was quite the building. All the decorations were from the civil war era. It was grand to see.

During the dialog, the man went through each of these flags, what they were called, what they meant and why they weren't used anymore.

This is an old pump organ. We weren't allowed to touch it, but I took the picture because my Mom used to have one in our living room. I don't know what happened to it - I'll ask her another day.

Quite the chandelier, ain't?

Here is the man doing the dialog. His wife was his counterpart. He was fighting on the Union side, his wife was on the confederate side. They were both from Eastern Tennessee - if that helps you understand why they were on different sides.

The hall had quite the decorations. Dad & I took a picture of ourselves in front of a picture of Robert E. Lee.

This is the couple putting on the dialog (I don't know what else to call it). It is a box that covers the modern light switches.

Outside the church is a perfect place for pictures. So, we took advantage of it. There wasn't anyone around to take both our pictures, so we settled for one of me. It's your lucky day!

After that, we took a drive to Dayton, Tennessee, to check out Bryan College. Dad likes their website and thought we should take a look at it. What a gorgeous campus. Hills and Mountains all around. Great landscapes. Well kept up buildings. Not planning, just dreaming!

The overlook on the way to Bryan College was amazing! The scenery was breathtaking.

One good looking man in front of the valley.

As we left the cabin this morning, here is what we found on our door. Yuck! They sure make bugs big down here - the picture doesn't do it justice.

On the way home, we stopped at Cracker Barrel for dessert (actually, we were craving onion rings). We were going to go to Sonic, but decided against it this time. I ordered only onion rings, Dad ordered Ham & Biscuits. I still had room for more, so I ordered their Strawberry Shortcake. It is to die for! It was HUGE! Dad said he would help me eat it, but was thinking that he should take a bite FIRST, because I would probably eat the whole thing. The nerve! Well, I did eat the whole thing. He didn't even get a taste. But after eating four biscuits and ham - he didn't have room for dessert. You would not believe what we saw in the restaurant - four people from the dinner theater. I wonder what they did while we were driving to Bryan College? Funny we should end up in the same place.

Today we are going to Point Park to read about the wars that happened around here. I will blog about them tomorrow. I will also be calling several places getting our electricity, gas and water changed into our name for our new house. Busy, busy - all the time.

Have a great day! Enjoy out children, Emily & Dan. You are doing a great job with them. Z & E, I understand you are doing a great job at being helpers. Thanks!

BTW, gas prices down here are $2.27 a gallon - should I bring buckets of it home?

1 Comments:

At July 16, 2009 7:49 PM, Blogger Tobin and Erin said...

Yes please, to the gas! The price is dropping here too, but we aren't at that level yet.

That chandelier is so ornate, I LOVE it! I would totally have that in my future house.

I'll have to Google Bryan College to see what it's all about. Sure is pretty out there.

I bet that bug was HUGE! I know the pictures don't really impress upon people how GIGANTIC bugs in the South are, but I am always afraid they might eat me. And that's scarier because usually they're so weird looking you don't know which end is the butt or the head. Ick.

Love you guys, continue having a BLAST! Enjoy your stay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home