Adminswife

Monday, August 16, 2010

VACATION, PART I.....

Loaded and leaving Saturday a.m. around 9:20. We arrived in Lincoln State Park, near Santa Claus, Indiana, around 4:30. After unpacking, we headed to the grocery store. A 30 oz. jar of mayo cost $6.50. I about died that I forgot to pack that from home. Meat was about the same price as VH, but everything else was really expensive. This is a nice place to visit, but would never afford to live here.

What do the kids do in a "rustic" cabin all day - this is it!!!!!

In case you can't tell, that is game cube and DVD's going at the same time. This is their bedroom. It has a small dresser, closet and two sets of bunk beds. They both sleep on the top bunk and use the bottom bunks for play time.

I should mention that the "rustic" cabin has central air conditioning. When we walked in, it was set at 68 and was FREEZING!

Sunday we went to Heritage Baptist Church. Several people welcomed us. It was a pretty good church to attend.

Monday, we decided that since it was going to be cooler, we would head to the Lincoln Bicentennial Memorial, the Lincoln Amphitheater and check out Santa Claus, Indiana.

Zachary is standing at 1821 because that is how tall Abe Lincoln would have been at 12 years old. Elyse is standing at 1819, because that is how tall Abe was at ten years old.

Notice that I am as tall as Lincoln would have been at 13 years old and Dad is as tall as Lincoln at 14 years old. Puts things in perspective, wouldn't you say?

If we were filthy rich, we would have signed up to see a play at this amphitheater. Not only are we not rich, but the last showing was August 7, we didn't get here until the 14th. Bummer. BUT, here I am finally listed as a senior citizen and I would have gotten a fairly good discount. I am taking the picture from the top, the kids are at the bottom, I was trying to give you a hint of how high the seats were. Did I succeed?

Next was Lincoln's Boyhood Home (or at least where they think it was and looked like). This is the foundation of one of the Lincoln's cabins. We wondered if the kids would complain about our small townhouse in VH after seeing this because Lincoln lived here with six other people.

Here is the site where the "think" Nancy Hanks Lincoln was buried.

We tried to go to several places today but school has started down here already. Therefore, most of the attractions are closed except on the weekends. Wish we knew that before we came down. I guess we came down one week too late.

One of the treats we were planning on getting was "frozen hot chocolate." Won't be able to get it unless we stay a few days longer and get it this weekend. I wonder if it is worth it?

3 Comments:

At August 17, 2010 10:31 AM, Blogger Tobin and Erin said...

Ooo, pictures! I'm glad you still have internet (somehow). Enjoy your vacation! Definitely get some frozen hot chocolate. It sounds too much like a chocolate milk shake to be bad, right?

 
At August 17, 2010 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun pictures, Mom! I would love to see the thing that showed Lincoln's heights. What do you call that? A statue? A formation? I am at a loss for the word. But it's very cool! Is Elyse taller than Lincoln was at her age? Pretty cool.

I am in the middle of my first day of school. I am taking a quick internet break because my next class starts in about 15 minutes and I just need to take a mental break. But it's going decently well. I have a lot of work to do to be ready for tomorrow and the rest of the week, though! I am hoping we have a good group of kids this year. So far, they nearly all seem nice.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation! Love you!

Betsey

 
At August 17, 2010 12:48 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Thanks for the update, mom! Looks like you are having a good time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home