Adminswife

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

$27 WORTH OF APPLES!!!!!

What do you do with $27 of apples - you make pies, applesauce and stomach aches.

These apples were so big, we couldn't eat one by ourselves. We cut up two apples for lunch one day, and the four of us couldn't finish them. Elyse finished them off about an hour later.

We had an assembly line going to make our applesauce.

Zachary peeled, sliced and cored the apples (with our handy machine). The handle kept coming off making the job take longer than expected. Frustrating!

Elyse chopped the apples in half AND threw away the peelings and cores.

I cooked the apples in two dutch ovens. I used my blender to puree the cooked apples further. We like chunky applesauce, so I didn't blend them but a few seconds.

Elyse likes to make faces - but she did work hard.

Cooling the sauce before bagging it.

The finished product. We will have four more bags of sauce, but I wanted to get this blogged while the last batch was cooking. I don't know what is wrong with my camera, but I took four pictures of the finished product and got ONE on the memory card. What the heck!

Now we have eight quart bags of sauce, four apple pie fillings and four stomach aches. It was a very productive day.

The house smells so good. Come see (or should I say "smell")!

4 Comments:

At October 13, 2009 6:19 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Yum yum. I can't wait for an apple pie.

 
At October 14, 2009 1:11 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Fun day! I love baking days!

 
At October 14, 2009 1:33 PM, Blogger Tobin and Erin said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! I love baking days too, when they're not preceeded (or followed by) by going to work.

Awesome; I have to see if we have such things as apple orchards down here. We're finally hitting some fall days, I don't sweat anymore in the morning when I take the dogs for a walk. Woohoo!

 
At October 15, 2009 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! More Rumley apple fun! Come over to my place sometime...I still have three bags of apples that I need to turn into pies VERY soon!

love,
Betsey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home