Adminswife

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

SUSIE HOMEMAKER!!!!!

Thinking of ways to get by cheaper has caused me to do several things I never thought I would do and do well. The first was making bread. It took several recipes before I got it right. Now we make two loaves of bread and freeze one. It is really good! Especially fresh out of the oven (our downfall).

The second thing we tried was English Muffins. We tried half whole wheat and half white flour. They were o.k., but tasted too much like my bread. So, we are going to try all white flour next time.

Today, I decided to try making bagels. I read an article that said, "If they can make it, you can too." So, what the heck. I tried making bagels.

Here is the bagels in picture form (I am getting like all the other bloggers out there that have pictures of everything they do). You need pictures to get the full effect.

The bagels have to rise for 30 minutes before you shape them into bagels. Mine took 45 minutes to rise, but that is o.k, I have a good book to read.

Here is the second rise - which only takes 10 minutes.

The next step is boiling them until they rise and float (who would have thought putting dough in water would make a bread item - not me).

The now boiled bagels go on a greased pan. I use my silicone sheet because nothing sticks to it.

The finished product! I think I cooked them to long. They look more like rolls. We have yet to taste them. Maybe I better do that before I publish this. I'll be right back.

We loved them! But, they don't actually taste like bagels. Maybe we should have put cream cheese on the one we tasted. They tasted like a heavy roll. But, I guess that is what bagels taste like to me. So, maybe we have success.

Just call me "Susie Homemaker." My mom always did when I was younger and living at home. If you want to try one, come on over. If there is any left by the time you get here.

6 Comments:

At October 06, 2009 8:46 PM, Anonymous Lacey said...

Wow - good for you! You're doing a great job being frugal, huh? I've been thinking about trying to make bagels, because a friend of mine makes them for her family all the time. I was too intimidated to try it yet, though. And I also have not tried to make bread yet, even though I really do want to. It so time-consuming, and time is something I feel like I don't have much of these days. Anyway, thanks for sharing and including the pictures!

 
At October 06, 2009 9:18 PM, Blogger Adminswife said...

Lacey - since you have the mixer, it only takes about five minutes to make the bread dough. I then set the timer for the rising of the bread. From start to finish, it takes about 100 minutes - but most of that time I am doing other chores or reading while I wait. In other words, "YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!"

It tastes so much better too. I am able to cut the bread thinner because it is so much more filling than store bought bread.

Give it a try! You'll like it!

 
At October 07, 2009 7:22 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Nice! I want to try bagels too. I haven't gotten the guts yet either. I do enjoy the bread and english muffins though!

 
At October 07, 2009 8:07 AM, Blogger Tobin and Erin said...

Wow! Those look AWESOME! I will definitely take two, please. :) Probably aren't any left by now, darn.

Maybe someday I'll have the motivation to make all my bread items too. Everything you've shown looks scrumptious. How do you compensate for homemade bread being so much BIGGER than store-bought bread? Like when you want to toast it or make French toast or something. Does it cause a problem?

Love you guys! See ya later!

 
At October 07, 2009 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yumm! They look great! I have read bagel recipes but never tried them. Guess I had better get with it now that you have paved the way. I will try some of your wares the next time I am there, thanks.:)We're trying to be frugal at our house too but some weeks are better than others...
Nona

 
At October 10, 2009 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So do you still have your bread machine, or was this all done by hand? I'm impressed! I hope the homemade stuff saves you big money.

We won't exactly be stopping by your house, but we will see you tomorrow...does that count enough for a bagel sampling? ;)

love you!
- Betsey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home