Adminswife

Saturday, October 10, 2009

OUR SECOND FIELD TRIP!!!!!

Friday we were supposed to go apple picking. Unfortunately, it was raining. The group decided to go to the Jelly Belly factory in the same area as the apple orchard. I forgot my camera, so when my friend sends me copies, I will blog about that trip.

Since we didn't get to go apple picking yesterday, we went today. There wasn't a drop of rain today, the temperatures were 35-40 degrees, it was a gorgeous sunny day! There was only a few spots of mud that we needed to stay clear of, but someone didn't do that. Elyse was the only one with muddy shoes and pants. Zachary & I didn't get a drop on us. Wonder why that happened?

After driving what seemed like forever, we got to the orchard. It was supposed to take 1 hour and 15 minutes. Since there is so much construction around here, it took 1 1/2 hours. The orchard has apple picking, hayrides, bakery, fresh cheese, unbaked pies, cider, playground, free concerts, restaurant, snack bar, coffee shop and wagon tours through the orchard. We didn't want too many apples because we already have four pie fillings in the freezer. We chose 1/2 a bushel.

We rode the tractor-pulled wagon to the Cortland apples. Zachary wanted to walk, I refused.

Elyse couldn't get over how big the apples were. I would guess each one weighed over a pound.

It looks like a nice sunny day, which it was, but it was freezing. At this point, it was 35 degrees with 20 mph winds. When Zachary wears a coat, you know it is cold. I wonder where he got that idea from?

Elyse likes her apples shiny. She buffs them up nicely.

I started to eat one - it was scrumptious. Only problem I was full when it was halfway gone. The apples were HUGE!

Elyse wanted a pumpkin. I let her have a small one (it is on her head).

Now, the problems with the orchard. First of all, the traffic was horrendous. I kept telling these people to go home - after all, it was Saturday. Second, it costs $3 to park (only on weekends, mind you - yesterday it would have been free parking). Third, the prices were outrageous. The pumpkins were 45 cents a pound - Elyse's little apple costs $4. I had refused all week of buying one at the grocery store, they were $3.99. I thought that was terrible. So, I said she could get one at the apple orchard - rip offs! Fourth, the price of the apples. Half a bushel was $27. Yep, you heard me right, $27. Emily & Lacey only paid $4.75 for a half bushel. I could have screamed. But, what do you do with a bag full of freshly picked apples (besides throw them at the cashier), so I paid the bill. Fifth, the cider costs $6.99 a gallon. I had promised everyone donuts and cider for breakfast the next day - so we bought it. It tasted horrible! It was like vinegar. I was really ticked. I bet you can't tell by the above description, but I was. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

Next year, watch out Emily & Lacey. We will be driving to the Stauch Motel on a Friday night AND picking apples on Saturday morning. If you want to go with us, that is fine. If not, the difference in the price would be cheaper than the gas to get there and back.

Watch for pictures of the Jelly Belly factory coming to a computer near you!

6 Comments:

At October 10, 2009 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you have certainly moved into the Chicago orbit. Astronomical, rip-off prices! No wonder everyone from Chicago who comes to the local outlet stores thinks the prices are so wonderful.

At least the memories are free:)
Nona

 
At October 10, 2009 4:56 PM, Blogger Tobin and Erin said...

Great pictures!

Wow, Chicago prices are ridiculous! I bet all the Chicago-villians think that's a good deal, too. Rip off!

 
At October 11, 2009 1:21 PM, Anonymous Lacey said...

I think I would've cried about the $27. Can't you buy apples in the store for much cheaper than that? That's just crazy!

Looking forward to the Jelly Belly pictures! :-)

 
At October 11, 2009 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, so sorry you got ripped off, Mom. Our apples were $12 for a large bag full (maybe a bushel??). But the apples were all very small. Does that make a difference? I hope they tasted $27 worth of good. If that makes sense.

:)

Love you! It was great seeing you guys today; we miss you!

- Betsey

 
At October 11, 2009 9:38 PM, Blogger Tim said...

The one good thing is that the apples are great.

The root of the high prices is high taxes. Property taxes are about 400% higher here than Indiana. Sales tax is 50% higher. I filed income tax yet, so I am not sure about that. It is pretty clear to me that when you look at the Blago situation and all the politics of Illinois that we are paying a stunning amount of corruption tax. Is there a boat full of tea in Lake Michigan?

 
At October 12, 2009 7:32 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Ha! A boat of tea in Lake Michigan...

Dan and I discovered that the sales tax is 10% in Schaumburg. If you purchase something from say Marshall's in Schaumburg, then return the item in Michigan. You will not be refund the 10% sales tax. You will be refund 6%, the MI sales tax rate. Bummer, huh?

So sorry to hear your tales, mom. You are welcome at our place next year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home