Adminswife

Saturday, October 16, 2010

FIELD TRIP!!!!!

Today (even though it is Saturday), we went on a field trip to Ringwood, Illinois. It is about an hour away from home. There would be a re-enactment of the years 1670-1850. We walked over a mile up and down hills to get to the main site. Along the way, there were signs telling about different things that happened during that time. We read most of them, but got tired of reading them after awhile. It was called:

When we got to the main site, there were over 100 tents to see. Some of the tents were selling things from that era, some were demonstrating working then, and some were actually living there for the weekend.

The British are coming! The British are coming!

Farmers of the time.

We watched a fashion show (the lady flapped forEVER). Elyse liked that part. We had homemade root beer in a blue bottle. We had a buffalo burger (which probably was just hamburger, but called buffalo burger - it was amazing though).

The kids got to play games of that time. This was a tug-of-war. The object was to balance on the log while pulling on the rope. You either pulled the rope out of the other person's hand, or pulled them off the log. Elyse didn't last but a few seconds. She said it was hard to balance.

Now the kids had a job to do. They were to PULL on the saw to cut the log. After cutting the log, they got to take their one inch piece home with them. The man was nice enough to cut the piece in half so there wouldn't be fights.

A wagon train!

Real buffalo skins, yuck says Elyse. Notice she isn't standing too close. Elyse considered standing closer would be the same as eating pig at a pig roast.


When we got back to the car to eat our lunch (which was parked over a mile away up and down hills), our sandwiches were too hot to eat. I was afraid of getting sick. On the way home, we hit Culver's and got an ice cream. Dinner will sure taste good tonight. We will be starving by then.

It was a gorgeous day for this event. Around 60 degrees and sunny. I even got my nose sunburned. We are exhausted, time for a nap!

8 Comments:

At October 16, 2010 3:29 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Very cool! I got a lot of studying done at home, too.

 
At October 16, 2010 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a SWEET field trip experience! That is so neat. I wish I could've seen (and ridden in!) the wagon train. Wow. I've never seen oxen pulling a wagon before (except in photos, obviously). Very cool.

I love the kids' expressions in the buffalo hide picture. Shows their personalities!

Mom, I think you really ate buffalo! Our Ruby Tuesday's serves buffalo burgers because there are buffalo farms around here. Seriously! I bet you had the real thing. It's supposed to be good for you. Maybe lower in fat than beef from cattle? I forget.

Glad you guys had fun. I hope the kids enjoyed it; it looks like they did.

Love you!
Betsey

 
At October 17, 2010 7:54 AM, Blogger Adminswife said...

Elyse says: "Those were minute men, not farmers. And that Buffalo burger I was about to puke because I thought it was real. There was some awesome candy, that Mom wouldn't get. And a fan that I was going to buy, but Mom wouldn't let me get it. The person acting Harriet Tubman was not that good at singing. There were good cloggers. This is my longest post ever. Loveyoubye!"

 
At October 17, 2010 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elyse,

You must have had quite an experience, if you have that much to say about it! Go ahead and puke, girlie, I think those buffalo burgers were REAL! :) But I have teacher-friends at school who swear by buffalo meat and say it's healthier for you and makes better burgers than cow beef. So you're lucky. You got the good stuff. :)

Cloggers would be interesting! Did they teach you any clogging dances? At our old-fashioned festival like this in Fort Wayne, they had a small marching band of bagpipe players. They were pretty sweet.

Love you!
Betsey

 
At October 18, 2010 7:39 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Cool field trip!

 
At October 18, 2010 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to try the tug-of-war game. Did you get on there, Mom?? I wonder how hard it actually is. Maybe we could try it at a family get-together some time? :)

love,
Betsey

 
At October 18, 2010 4:20 PM, Blogger Adminswife said...

No, Mom did not try it. I never thought of it. Maybe I should have. I did actually take pictures this time. Usually I forget the camera. If I remember the camera, I forget to take pictures. It was a fun field trip, but I don't think we will go again. It was a lot of walking. Some of it was just a tourist trap, selling their wares. There was one thing I wanted to buy, but I forgot to go back to get it. It was lotion that looked like a bar of soap. It would never dry out. You just rubbed in on whatever you wanted lotion on. It was really nice and smelled good too.

 
At October 20, 2010 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooh! That sounds really cool! I've never seen anything like that. What sucks me in at these kind of fests is the pottery. I LOVE old-fashioned looking pottery! Alas, if I had only worked hard enough in my pottery class to be able to make my own. Boo.

love,
Betsey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home